The Office of the Work Health and Safety Prosecutor (OWHSP) is an independent prosecution office, established by the Queensland parliament under the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 to conduct and defend proceedings for breaches of Queensland’s work health and safety and resources safety and health laws.
The OWHSP commenced operation on 18 March 2019.
Our purpose is to provide an independent prosecution service which:
- meets the expectations of our client agencies and other stakeholders
- understands the priorities of our client agencies
- contributes to the safety of Queensland workers and members of the public.
We aim to:
- act with courtesy and professionalism
- ensure consistency in decision-making
- work as model litigants
- ensure the timely advice of decisions and outcomes to our stakeholders.
Our priorities are to:
- provide an efficient, effective and transparent prosecution service
- ensure the timely advice of decisions and outcomes to our stakeholders
- develop and recognise our people.